Tuesday 27 November 2007

Performance anxiety

If I think I've got problems with finding the zone, Eli Manning's got it worse. Seems like he was struggling with his own performance anxiety this weekend. I wonder how much of the problem was knowing that his brother was watching.

I don't have 80,000 people watching me, thank god. Nor do I have half a dozen 230lb men desperately trying to knock me off my feet. But I do think the mental state required to perform at your best is more or less the same in tango as in sport. You need to find the zone, that almost trance-like state where everything seems to happen without effort, where you're not thinking because you're really present, where you're at your centre and therefore perfectly balanced.

When I was at uni I captained our college pool team. When I was playing at my best it was because I was in exactly that same state of mind. In that state of mind I made shots that I would have thought were impossible if I'd actually thought about it.

I wonder whether there's anything in sport psychology that can help me with this. I'll investigate and report back. So far I've found articles about the zone in gymnastics, golf, and reffing football, but none of them are telling me anything I didn't already know.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Brinton said...

Hey Psyche, I have only just discoverd your blog, and so maybe you have already talked about this, but I wonder if you do yoga? It helps with the focus, for me anyway.


Also, in Ba this past month I noticed a lot of artwork with tango people sporting wings. What is the connection? Is there a story behind this?

msHedgehog said...

Some days I can get bruises from my own desk and chair.

Nothing is going to help but coffee and chocolate, and even those make you wobble.

Psyche said...

Hi Elizabeth!

Welcome! I posted a reply to you yesterday, but it doesn't seem to have appeared. I'll try again!

I did used to do yoga, but time pressures made me stop a while ago. I think you're right, though, it could be a big help. I'd also love to try Pilates.

Re the winged tango art, how intriguing! I'll have to look out for it when I'm in BA. Where did you see it?

Hi Ms Hedgehog,

I'm always covered in bruises, and have no idea where they come from. I just don't seem to notice when I bang into things!

Elizabeth Brinton said...

Psyche: Upstairs at the Homero Manzi restaurant, there are a bunch or artworks with winged tango people. If you are there during lunch there is usually no one up there and you can look without peering over people. but Also I just saw this image repeated. I don't know the story but if you figure it out will you tell me? Thanks E.

Psyche said...

Certainly! I'll keep my eyes peeled for them.