Wednesday 12 March 2008

Cecilia is the new Eugenia

Of all the many truly brilliant dancers I've seen since I've been here, the one that has most captivated me is Cecilia Garcia. She's completely mesmerising to watch. Her way of moving is really unique. I've never seen a tanguera express herself so fully in every second. I'm not talking about Geraldine-style endless embellishments, I'm talking about infusing every single movement, however simple, with meaning and character. I'm telling you, she's going to be bigger than Eugenia.

I've mostly seen her dancing with Santiago Dorkas. A little while ago they did a show at Villa Malcolm which is one of my favourite of all the shows I've ever seen. Very sadly, it doesn't seem to be on YouTube. She wore flat shoes, combat trousers, tribal paint, and a tattered scarf wound around her torso. They had an odd mushroom-shaped lamp on the floor in the corner which they occasionally approached with joy and wonder before backing away to wind around each other again. It was moving, evocative, athletic, and very Lost Boys.

Last night at Practica X she and Horatio Godoy gave possibly the best show I've ever seen anywhere. It was miles away in style from the stuff she does with Santiago, but equally mesmerising. If I ever find it on YouTube I'll post it here, but for now here's one that is on YouTube. Even this is only about half as good as the one last night! You should have seen the milonga! But it's still beautiful.

5 comments:

one2tango said...

Hello Psyche,
I was there too on Tuesday night, and I'm glad you are writing about Cecilia. I had never seen Horacio Godoy dance before - he dances very little in public now, they say. So everyone was dying to watch him. And he is fantastic, his movements are so CLEAN! Yet, he dances alone. I mean, he danced with her, but they didn't dance together, did they? That was my impression at least; and she's really good - only, she seemed to be dancing in his shadow... it seemed a pity. And when they switched with Damian and Celine, everyone watched Horacio, of course, but I actually liked her better dancing with Damian (though I do not like his dancing), because she seemed to be much more herself with him... Oh well, just my impression..

tangobaby said...

OMG! She is incredible! I had to watch it three times.

I have never seen something so graceful, almost balletic. It's like she is floating.

It also made me smile because I just watched Cinema Paradiso the night before last, and I had forgotten how wonderful a movie it was, and how haunting the score. How wonderful to see a tango danced to such emotional music.

I wanted to write a post about the movie, but now, I'm going to add this clip, too, if you don't mind. I want lots of people to see what you've found.

;-)

Dear One2Tango,

I'm glad to know that you're seeing all of this wonderful dancing, too!

Psyche said...

Hey guys! I'm so glad you love her too!

I'm also excited because I've just found someone's posted the milonga on YouTube. Not the tango, yet, sadly, but you never know. I only wish her last show with Santiago was there too!

One2tango - how odd to be in the same room and never know it. What a strange thing the blogosphere is. But also very nice that I'm not the only one writing about these things - I've just found http://tangobsas.blogspot.com mentioned the show too.

Psyche said...

Oh, and TB - of course I don't mind! Spread the word!

La Nuit Blanche said...

oh my god... this was so ethereal...powerful... and graceful and sorrowful at the same time.

she looks like the kind of dancer who could just stand still and look like she's dancing. amazing artist, thank you for writing about her!